Friday, October 19, 2012

CHAPTER 1 - Welcome to my Blog! Let's get acquainted.


Introduction

Who am I?

Once again Welcome to my blog. My name is Camilo Calderon the oldest from three children, I am from Colombia (South America). I have been living in Canada for most of my life now (since march 2001). I'm 24 years old and I'm a Type 1 Diabetic. Been diagnosed since July 04, 2012.  I have decided to finally share my story to all my friends, family members and fellow newly (and) diagnosed diabetics through this blog of how diabetes came into my life. I will also share with you fellow diabetics how I handle it and how it has opened my eyes on how to take better care of myself, so lets get started.


Chapter 1

Everything is not what it seems


No one wants to hear they have diabetes, at least it never went through my mind that I would one day have to poke my fingers to check my blood and be on top of it as I am now, never did I know I would have to poke my self and inject insulin every time I ate. Back when I was younger I used to see this girl in school always poking her self at lunch and always thought to my self " I really feel bad for her she has to poke her self, she must be diabetic" without realizing what diabetes really meant to the person.

This is me back in April 2012.


That's right I was in prison, hahaha just joking It sure felt like it tho. Back then my weight was 198 Lbs! I used to eat what I wanted when I wanted. I'm not going to go ahead and lie, say I didn't eat my weekly burger or sushi or junk food once in a while, but I was sure (boy was I wrong) I had a good going diet and there was nothing wrong with the way I looked I was a happy individual and didn't think much of what people might've thought about on how I looked. I am also working in the Hospitality and Tourism industry where we all know food is well pretty much everywhere you look so being around food didn't help my bad eating habits. 

My Symptoms?

Blurred Vision

Back then, I was lately feeling stressed and my vision started to get a bit blurrier than usual for about a week back in May. I blamed it on my stress so when my vision went back to normal I didn't think of it much, later that week I got strep throat ( I think this is when my diabetes really kicked in) for about a week I was able to eat barely nothing, but I wanted to make the change (with losing a few pounds) and started to hit the treadmill for 2 - 3 hours daily after work. Then the real symptoms started, I'm sure we all experienced different symptoms well this is what I got.

Crazy Thirst, Peeing more than usual?

Back then I used to think my crazy thirst all the time was due to exercising so much, oh yeah I thought I was only getting dehydrated and that there wasn't anything too serious going on. I remember I was thirsty every 2 or 3 hours and I was always either drinking soda water or mostly literally pitchers of water every now and then. The peeing was also starting to worry me, I was making trips to the bathrooms more often than I used to normally. I remember our 5 gallon water container that lasts a family of 5 a whole week only lasted about 4 or 5 out of the 7 whole days. My sister blamed me from drinking most of it but I never realized I did since most of us were drinking only water.

Losing weight 

I lost 20 pounds in about a month and again it could've been the exercising and all the water I was drinking back then. I went from 198 to 178 just like that, so I was feeling good about my self.

Back in June - July




THE BIRTHDAY...

Finally, July came and so did my birthday on the 3rd, I started my day at 11 am when a friend of mine invited me for lunch and a movie at lunch we got subway and the sub came with my cranberry juice and a bottle of water for "later" in case I got thirsty in the movie, well by the time it took us to get from subway to the theater   (2 minute drive) I had finished the water and most of my juice (like 1/4 left). we went in while in the movie I made 3 or 4 trips to the washroom and I was also filling up the water bottle each time. When we got out of the movie I felt thirty again, this didn't go unnoticed as my friend asked me why I was thirsty again I blamed it on the exercise.  

Later that day I went out with the family had couple beers and my so called usual "Sampler" from Tony Romas with fries, beans, coleslaw and rice ... hmmmm ... haha back into topic, had 2 6oz glasses of water and went home fine or so I thought. That night as many others (since May) I was getting up and drinking about 2-3 liters of water before I went to bed.

The next morning I woke up at 7 am and finally had a day off to go to the doctor's office to see what was going on first thing my mom said to me at around 10 am was  "you look really pale you should go to the hospital instead you don't look good"  Me - "I know mom, I think there's something wrong I've been up since 7am and the thirst seems to have gotten worse, now its not every 2 or 3 hours I'm thirsty every 15 minutes since I've been up."  Mom- "that's it we are taking you to the hospital!"

To the hospital we went.

-Thanks for taking time to read my blog.

Camilo Calderon




No comments:

Post a Comment